Friday 22 February 2013

Our Children Will Not Curse Us

There's an idea which has been floating around my mind for a while, and it relates to what we are all doing, as a global civilisation. Specifically, what we are doing environmentally as a civilisation. The damage we are causing to our atmosphere, the sea and the land in the interests of our economies and lifestyles and expectations for the future is now fairly unquestionable. Sea acidification rises, sea ice melts, global climate change is becoming more and more difficult to ignore and farming and industry cover more of the land than is necessary or justifiable, taking the place of forests and other pretty useful features of the non-human environment.

This is all reasonably alarming, I have to admit. There is, however, one niggle. We are told repeatedly that our children will curse us for what we have done to the world and they will spit our names as the reason for their ravaged lands, higher sea-levels and whatever else. "Why did they not act sooner?" they will cry over the flaming deserts of Australia. "Those short sighted fools," as they enjoy a glass-bottom tour of submerged Manhattan.
Now I'm not quite so sure that will be the case.
More likely, those alive in 2113 will not give a single flying proverbial. I'll tell you why.

The first, and most plausible explanation for the lack of interest from our descendants will be that, like people of today, they just don't care that much about history. They care more about the here and now. They will have geopolitical fear and they will have terrible pop music and they will need to keep up with the stupid clothing of the day and how do I ask Mandy out and jeez maybe I'm getting a little fat after NeoSaturnalia.
If I was to jump forward in time and fall to my knees, begging forgiveness, I suspect their reaction would be one of bemusement. And possible marvel at my time travelling abilities. But mostly bemusement. Theirs is the real world into which they were born. Mine would be the world of history, that they read about from a book. People become blasé about the most amazing things, such as mini-ice ages, the blitz, horseless carriages. Even if weather remains crazier, or gets crazier, people in a hundred years time will just accept this as normal.

They will exist in a new normal, and our world will be aberrant.

Secondarily, and much more hypothetically, I do just wonder if societies further and further into the future might deal with these situations a little more level-headedly, the further they are removed from our current apocalyptic, post-millennial angst. It is an interesting morsel for thought to think that perhaps a lot of hysteria and mass-panic raging around now might still subconsciously be linked to still being so close to the big 2k. I don't know, perhaps I am over-analysing...

I would like to add that I entirely advocate acting against climate change. It's a big horrendous monster that I'm in no way trying to downplay, but it's a fun little game, trying to jump into the heads of those finding normalcy after all this craziness is done. I'd be fascinated to hear what people out there think.




1 comment:

  1. All periods of human history have had a notion of impending apocalypse I would say, but they have mostly been a fantasy. I think ours is the first where the prospect of global, species-wide catastrophe is very real, but I don't think there's anything particularly apocalyptic in the thinking of the here and now, compared to generations past.

    I think you're right that we won't be cursed, but for a different reason: I just don't think people have a strong notion of collective responsibility or collective guilt, or at least not in this context. The effects of climate change, whatever they turn out to be (cards on the table, I'm completely in the "we're going to have an unspeakably horrible time" camp here) are largely going to be the fault of a small number of highly influential, wealthy people who have completely poisoned the public discourse, and quite successfully setup a narrative where controlling big polluters is big government controlling you, and coming into your home, and I think future generations will realise that. Believing otherwise is like blaming an entire nation for war crimes or something. I could see a few taking the "screw them all" attitude but not the vast majority.

    ReplyDelete